Joseph P. Santoro
Joe Santoro is an attorney with the firm's real estate practice group. He has over 19 years of experience in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, including, office, industrial, retail, and residential sales, purchases, development, and leasing.
Immediately prior to joining the firm, Joe served as vice president, senior counsel to Liberty Property Trust (LPT), a publicly-traded real estate investment trust with over 100 million square feet of space, and over 1,000 tenants. At LPT, Joe oversaw all commercial leasing transactions throughout the country and created lease protocols to increase (and prevent the decrease of) marketability, financeability and value of assets and to protect companies from increased exposure to liability. He prepared form lease documents, such as form lease agreements for national tenants to streamline future leasing, and specialized lease agreement forms to accommodate different users of real estate, such as logistic companies, tenants desiring to perform little to all maintenance, repair, and replacement of space, and tenants desiring gross or triple net leases. He also, oversaw bankruptcy matters, workouts and commercial litigation (including, defaults, evictions, remedy enforcements, mechanic liens, and holdovers).
Specializing in commercial leasing with LPT, Joe lived and breathed leasing and completed a considerable amount of deals over his 16 year relationship with LPT. For instance, Joe has completed office, flex and industrial lease transactions, including, build-to-suit and speculative building transactions, with numerous Fortune 25, 100 and 500 companies, publicly-traded companies and high-credit tenants containing terms up to 30 years, and for spaces up to 2,000,000 square feet, for assets held long-term or short-term. He works hand-in-hand with leasing representatives, construction/property managers, accountants, insurance providers and tax professionals to create synergies in real estate transactions.
In addition to his real estate practice, Joe also focuses his practice in the areas of transactional corporate law. On the corporate side, Joe has experience with business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions and business formations and dissolutions.
Born and raised in Philadelphia, and a lifelong Pennsylvania resident, Joe graduated from Saint Joseph's University in 1997, receiving his B.S. in Accounting, and received his J.D. from Widener University School of Law. He continued his education at Temple University Beasley School of Law where he received his LL.M in Taxation in just one year while clerking full time for a judge in the Superior Court of New Jersey.
Joe prides himself of being a responsive, business minded commercial real estate attorney adding value to clients by rolling up his sleeves and working hard, using his experience to be a creative problem solver and not an obstacle and, most importantly, getting deals done timely. Joe is admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- Handled build-to-suit and speculative building transactions throughout the country for LPT’s national clients.
- Represented landlords in the leasing, development and management of millions of square feet of single tenant and multi-tenant commercial office, flex, warehouse, manufacturing and industrial buildings.
- Represented the airport division of a governmental authority, as landlord, in the leasing and management of general aviation airports, terminal facilities and aviation ramps.
- Represented property owners/managers of hotels, regional malls, neighborhood shopping centers and stand-alone retail buildings, as landlords, in the leasing and management of retail space.
- Represented individual entrepreneurs and various entities, including for-profit and non-profit corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies and professional associations, as tenants, in the leasing and development of commercial retail, medical, office, warehouse, manufacturing and industrial space.
- Represented individuals and entities in connection with acquisitions, sales and development.
- Represented banks, individuals and entities in connection with financing transactions.
- Oversaw lease transactions for single-tenant buildings, multi-market tenants or tenants with annual straight-line rents of more than $1,000,000.00 annually.
- Negotiated leases with companies, such as, Amazon, Procter & Gamble, Comcast, Home Depot, Walmart, Wayfair, FedEx, XPO, NFI, Goodyear, UPS, Under Armour, Cardinal Health, DHL, Knoll, Ulta, Uline, Staples, Honeywell, Foxconn, Lennox, Veritiv, Quest Diagnostics, TJX, Coca-Cola, Kellogg, Thyssenkrupp, Kuehne Nagel, Valvoline.