Charles W. Ormsby, Jr.
For over 30 years Chuck has concentrated his practice in corporate law, business transactions, mergers and acquisitions, commercial finance, business disputes, and commercial real estate. Chuck's success is due in large part to the care he demonstrates for each of his clients and the attention to detail he shows in his work. It is those characteristics that have led many of his clients to look to him as much for his business judgment as for his legal analysis. As Chairman of the firm's corporate department he serves as counsel to a variety of entities and businesses ranging from regional institutions to non-profit corporations and from sole proprietorships to multi-national corporations.
He is a Magna Cum Laude graduate of Franklin and Marshall College where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and was the valedictorian of his graduating class. He was an editor of the Journal of International Law and Economics at The National Law Center of the George Washington University where he was elected to the Order of the Coif.
For 20 consecutive years, he has been rated AV® PreeminentTM by Martindale Hubbell®. This is the highest peer review rating issued by Martindale Hubbell® for both legal ability and the highest ethical standard. He has been selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® for four years, and as a 2020 "Best of the Bar" Honoree by the Philadelphia Business Journal.
Outside of the firm, Chuck serves on numerous non-profit boards and is also a co-founder of Building A Bridge to Uganda, a 501(c)(3) organization serving the spiritual and educational needs of children in Uganda, East Africa. Through this organization, he has helped build a top flight secondary boarding school with over 500 students, living in extreme poverty in the jungle of Uganda.
Chuck serves as counsel to many companies in a wide variety of industries. Representative matters include:
- Representation of a family in the sale of their stock in a national distribution company for over $65 million
- Counsel to a pension and consulting company that sold for $10 million
- Counsel to the sellers of stock in an engineering company for over $20 million
- Counsel to a manufacturing company which sold for over $200 million
- Counsel to buyers in acquisition of an engineering company for over $6 million
- Counsel to the purchaser of a security service business in southeastern Pennsylvania with over $5 million in revenue and thirty-plus employees
- Counsel to buyers in acquisition of an Italian engineering company for $2 million
- Representation of sellers of controlling interest of stock in a contested shareholder dispute for approximately $4 million
- Represented a defense contractor in the acquisition of another defense contracting business for over $15 million
- Counsel to sellers of stock in Delaware Valley life safety business selling in excess of $60 million.
- Representation of the shareholders in the sale of stock of a consulting services business in excess of $150 million
- Counsel to the sellers of a regional service provider for $10 million
- Counsel to the sellers of a vehicle renovation business for $4 million
- Successfully negotiated numerous financings from $1 million to over $100 million
- Spearheaded the acquisition of numerous service companies in the tri-state area ranging in value from $1 million to $10 million
- Represented doctors and their practices in several acquisitions and sales of dental and physician's practices
- Representation of the seller of stock in a US Military defense contracting business for over $1 million
- Counsel to seller of stock for over $10 million in a business providing services to various federal and state governmental agencies
- Represented the purchaser in buying the assets of a lending services company
- Resolved numerous shareholder and partner disputes.
Small Business Impact: Paycheck Protection Program Loans
NBC 10 News
April 7, 2020
- NEW WITHHOLDING OBLIGATION: NEW PENNSYLVANIA LAW PUTS MORE OF A BURDEN ON PENNSYLVANIA COMPANIES
Smart Business Magazine, April 2018
- WHEN THE BANK CALLS ITS LOAN: HOW TO NEGOTIATE WITH YOUR BANK WHEN THEY DON’T WANT YOU ANYMORE
Smart Business Magazine, January 2014
- CONSULT EARLY OR SUFFER LATER: HOW INVOLVING A BUSINESS ATTORNEY SOONER RATHER THAN LATER CAN VASTLY IMPROVE YOUR DEAL
Smart Business Magazine, Updated February 2020
- THE VALUE OF EXITING THE IT BUSINESS COMPLETELY
CHARLES W. ORMSBY, JR., ESQ.
- EMPLOYMENT LAW AUDIT FOR YOUR MEDICAL PRACTICE
MICHAEL J. TORCHIA, ESQ. and CHARLES W. ORMSBY, JR., ESQ.