Nicole J. O’Hara
Nicole J. O’Hara is a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property Group, and assists clients in negotiating multi-party technology and IP transactions, including acquisitions and collaborations, service and subscription agreements, software and platform-as-a-service agreements, domain name registration, and monitoring and hosting agreements, and has prepared and negotiated agreements to memorialize deal terms. Nicole has prosecuted patent, service and trademark applications with the USPTO, routinely advising on and resolving trademark, copyright and patent-related issues, including questions of patentability, commercial viability, and freedom to operate.
Representing clients of all sizes across most major industry sectors, Nicole advises on compliance and best practices and works with clients to construct privacy, terms of service, and other online and website policies. She drafts and negotiates contracts and transactions to meet varied requirements as set forth by the parties, including licenses, option agreements, NDAs, and MTAs.
In addition to providing counsel on intellectual property strategy and portfolio management, Nicole counsels companies on matters involving the internet, privacy and advertising compliance, and a range of legal matters involving data collection and use, cybersecurity and hygiene, data breaches, notification requirements and disaster response and recovery.
Nicole graduated from Rutgers University, with a B.S. in Biochemistry, and continued her education at Rutgers School of Law-Camden, receiving her Juris Doctor in 2010. Nicole is admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Nicole has been selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars for Intellectual Property from 2017 through 2021. The Rising Stars list recognizes no more than 2.5 percent of attorneys in each state for their knowledge of the law, professional work ethic, and advocacy on behalf of their clients.
- SaaS and IT Contracts for Lawyers, Bucks County Bar Association, Business Law Institute (May 12, 2021)
- IP and Technology Due Diligence for Businesses, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (April 20, 2021)
- Basics of IP Law CLE, Bucks County Bar Association (August 2020)
- Cyberthreats on the Horizon and Cybersecurity During COVID-19, Philadelphia Alliance for Capital and Technologies Webinar (April 2020)
- “The Walls Have Ears and Every Screen Has Eyes; Biometric Data & Privacy,” Pennsylvania Bar Association Newsletter (February 2020)
- Myth v. Reality; IP for the Non-IP Practitioner, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (September 2019)
- “The Role of Intellectual Property and Human Capital in Succession Planning,” Network Magazine (2018)
- “The Arc and Art of Protecting Fictional Characters,” The Legal Intelligencer (April 2018)
- Social Media: How to Use it to Network and Market Your Practice Without Violating IP Law, New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting and Convention (May 2017)
- U.S. Intellectual Property Law, American Bar Association Webinar/International Series with The Balkans Regional Rule of Law Initiative (April 2017)
- Professional Development for Artists: Competitions, Commissions, and Exhibits, Lehigh Valley Arts Council (July 2016)
- “But Everyone Else Does It!” The Risks We Take in Digital Marketing, Discover Lehigh Valley, and Lehigh Valley Business, Panel Discussion-Allentown Renaissance (June 2016)
- Expanding US Intellectual Property Across the Globe: Impacts of the TPP Agreement on IP, American Bar Association Spring Meeting (May 2016)
- “Patent-Eligible Subject Matter: One Section (101) to Rule Them All,” Pennsylvania Bar Association IP Section Newsletter (December 2015)
- The Associate – How to Get Noticed When You’re a Small Fish in a Big Pond, New Jersey State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division Symposium (October 2015)
- “The Art of War with Patent Trolls,” The Legal Intelligencer (October 2014)
- How to Advise Small Businesses on IP Issues, New Jersey State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division Webinar (August 2014)
- “Student-Athletes Could Be FLSA Pitfall for Colleges,” The Legal Intelligencer (June 2014)
- The Tangled Web of Online Advertising: An Ethical and Legal Update for Attorneys and Businesses, New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting and Convention (May 2014)
Awards and Recognition
- Named to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers List as a “Rising Star” for Intellectual Property (2017, 2018, 2019, 2021)
- Service to the Bar Award, New Jersey Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (2017)
- Named Lawyers on the Fast Track, by The Legal Intelligencer (2018)
Professional and Community Involvement
- Vice Chair of the Trademarks & the Internet Committee of the American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Co-Chair of Communications Committee of Pennsylvania Bar Association WIP Section
- Member of Intellectual Property and WLD of Bucks County Bar Association
- Membership Director, Intellectual Property Section, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Board of Directors, LifePath Foundation (2013 – present)
- Leadership Chester County Graduate (2020)