Mary Jo Baum
Mary Jo ("MJ") Baum concentrates her practice in estate and trust planning and administration, preparing Federal Gift Tax Returns, death tax returns (Federal Estate Tax and PA Inheritance Tax), and pre- and post-death PA Inheritance Tax "Remainder Tax" returns. She has extensive knowledge in Federal Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax and considers herself to be on the leading edge for the use of disclaimers (post mortem tax planning) over the years. At her previous firm, she was the "go to" person for questions on preparing Pennsylvania Inheritance Tax returns and has edited case studies and taught numerous courses with J. Paul Dibert (the now retired Chief of the Inheritance Tax Division of the PA Dept of Revenue).
Ms. Baum currently serves on the Bucks County Orphans' Court Advisory Panel. She is a member of the Bucks County Estate Planning Council, where she served as President from 1999-2000 and is a past board member. Ms. Baum was section chair for the Orphans' Court Section of the Bucks County Bar Association from 1995-1996.
Ms. Baum graduated from St. Bonaventure University with a B.S. in Biology and received her J.D., cum laude from Villanova University School of Law, where she was elected to the Order of the Coif. She also received her Doctor of Optometry from the Pennsylvania College of Optometry.
She is actively involved in her community and has been a Master Guide and Mentor for the Mural Arts Program of Philadelphia and is a certified tour guide for the Association of Philadelphia Tour Guides. Ms. Baum is an active member of the Pearl S. Buck Volunteer Association, and has received Stewards of Children/Darkness to Light training certification (child sexual abuse prevention program) on behalf of Pearl S. Buck International.
- Created and presented “Art Theft Trivia Game” questions and prizes for Bucks County Estate Planning Council’s annual social dinner meeting leading to a presentation by Robert K. Wittman (author of Priceless) on art theft recovery on December 2, 2014
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute “How To Prepare The Pennsylvania Inheritance Tax Return” Presenter/Course Planner/Editor 1998-2010
- “End Of Life Decisions” panelist at Central Bucks Senior Citizens Center on March 8, 2001
- “The New IRAs” presentation to Bucks County Estate Planning Council on December 3, 1997
- “PA Inheritance Tax Consequences of Inter-Spousal Transfers (Planning Before And Possibly After The Death Of The First Spouse)” presentation to Bucks County Estate Planning Council on March 27, 1996
- “Preparing The PA Inheritance Tax Return With Inter-Spousal Transfers” presentation to PNC Bank, NA on October 24, 1996 and as CLE course for the Orphans’ Court Section of the Bucks County Bar Association (Course #159) on December 7, 1995
- “Disability Planning: How To Avoid The Harshness Of The Law!” presentation to Bucks County Estate Planning Council on April 26, 1995
- “Legal Issues In Retirement: I. Income Taxation of Individuals; and II. Estate Planning, Wills and Trusts” presentation for U.S. Department of Health & Human Services in Philadelphia, PA on May 13, 1992, December 5, 1990, June 6, 1990, November 16, 1989, June 15, 1989, November 16, 1988 and June 22, 1988
- “The Use Of Revocable Living Trusts” presentation @ Bucks County Bar Association’s Bench Bar Conference on September 27, 1991
- “Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts” presentation to Lutheran Brotherhood on April 5, 1991
- “Estate Planning, Wills and Trusts” presentation to Lutheran Brotherhood on October 3, 1990